The Cost

If Funds Are Low... Start at a Two-Year School, Then Transfer to a Four-Year School

This strategy is appropriate if you cannot afford the cost of a four-year school. You can minimize college costs if your child attends a two-year school in the freshman and sophomore years. This could give you more time to save for the higher-cost, four-year school.

SUGGESTION: Working with the high school guidance office, your child should develop a list of schools in which he or she is interested and do your research on each of them. You and your child should rank the schools without regard to cost. Then rank them according to what you think you can afford. This process will help you hone in on a school that your child likes and that you can afford.

SUGGESTION: There are services available that match your child's personal profile and needs with the college that fits their unique situation; see the section College Planning Services.

Share Article:
Add to GooglePlus

Securities and Investment Advisory Services are offered through LPL Financial, a Registered Investment Advisor, member FINRA/SIPC. Insurance products are offered through LPL Financial or its licensed affiliates. Heartland Planning Associates is a trade name of Heartland Bank. Heartland Bank and Heartland Planning Associates are not a registered broker/dealers and are not affiliated with LPL Financial.  The investment products sold through LPL Financial are not insured Heartland Bank deposits and are not FDIC insured.  These products are not obligations of Heartland Bank and are not endorsed, recommended or guaranteed by Heartland Bank or any other government agency. The value of the investment may fluctuate, the return on the investment is not guaranteed, and loss of principal is possible.  The LPL Financial representatives associated with this website may discuss and/or transact securities business only with residents of the following state: Ohio. Check the background of investment professionals associated with this site on FINRA's BrokerCheck.

Not Insured by FDIC or Any Other
Government Agency
Not Bank
Not Bank Deposits or
May Lose